Anyway, so I know people are interested in character "builds" and stated-out NPCs they can use, so here's the character I made up for the second round. This is Lurien, a male elf oracle (with the Ancestor mystery and the Haunted curse). My background concept for the character was an elf who grew up in a family whose members often had the "gift" (some would say curse) of seeing and hearing the spirits of the dead. In time Lurien came to embrace these gifts. Most of the spirits he interacts with are actually ancestors of his family and elven clan, but there are others. My selection of the spells, revelations, and skills were based on this background. For instance, Lurien has no ranks in the Perception skill because he is always hearing faint sounds and whispers and glimpsing brief movements from the spirit world. So, over time he has come to ignore a lot sights and sounds around him. I also envisioned the character as coming from a coastal place, hence the high skills in Craft (Ships), Profession (Sailor), and Swim.
Lurien, Oracle of the Ancient Ancestors (Level 7)
male Elf, Chaotic Good
AC: 21 (armor +7, Dex +3, ring +1)
BAB: +5 (melee +6, ranged +8, archery +10)
Str 12 +1
Dex 16 +3 Ref +2 (+5)
Con 9 -1 Fort +2 (+1)
Int 14 +2
Wis 12 +1 Will +5 (+6)
Cha 16 +3
- 0 Level Spells known (7; at will; DC 13): Detect Magic, Guidance, Light, Read Magic, Resistance, Stabilize, Virtue
- 1st Level Spells known (5; 7/day; DC 14): Comprehend Languages,Dancing Lantern, Detect Undead, Doom, Shield of Faith; Unseen Servant (Mystery spell) [Cure Light Wounds/1d8+5]
- 2nd Level Spells known (3; 7/day; DC 15): Blessing of Courage and Life, Death Knell, Lesser Animate Dead; Spiritual Weapon (Mystery spell) [Cure Moderate Wounds/2d8+7]
- 3rd Level Spells known (2; 5/day; DC 16): Bestow Curse, Prayer; Heroism (Mystery spell) [Cure Serious Wounds/3d8+7]
Sacred Council (Su): As a move action, you can call upon your ancestors to provide council. This advice grants you a +2 bonus on any one d20 roll. This effect lasts for 1 round. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Charisma bonus.
Spirit Shield (Su): You can call upon the spirits of your ancestors to form a shield around you that blocks incoming attacks and grants you a +4 armor bonus. At 7th level, and every four levels thereafter, this bonus increases by +2. At 13th level, this shield causes arrows, rays, and other ranged attacks requiring an attack roll against you to have a 50% miss chance. You can use this shield for 1 hour per day per oracle level. This duration does not need to be consecutive, but it must be spent in 1-hour increments.
Storm of Souls (Su): You can summon the spirits of your ancestors to attack in a ghostly barrage—their fury creates physical wounds on creatures in the area. The storm has a range of 100 feet and is a 20-foot-radius burst. Objects and creatures in the area take 1d8 hit points of damage for every two oracle levels you possess. Undead creatures in the area take 1d8 points of damage for every oracle level you possess. A successful Fortitude save reduces the damage to half. You must be at least 7th level to select this revelation. You can use this ability once per day, plus one additional time per day at 11th level and every four levels thereafter. [As level 10, see traits]
Voice of the Grave (Su): You can speak with the dead, as per the spell, for a number of rounds per day equal to your oracle level. These rounds do not need to be consecutive. At 5th level, and every five levels thereafter, the dead creature you question takes a cumulative –2 penalty on its Will save to resist this effect.
Abundant Revelations (use revelation +1 time per day) x 2
Extra Revelation (gain 1 extra revelation)
Prophetic Visionary (Once per day, enter a deep trance and gain a prophetic vision.)
Elf Racial Traits:
- Elven Immunities: Elves are immune to magic sleep effects and gain a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
- Keen Senses: Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
- Elven Magic: Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance. In addition, elves receive a +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft skill checks made to identify the properties of magic items.
- Weapon Familiarity: Elves are proficient with longbows (including composite longbows), longswords, rapiers, and shortbows (including composite shortbows), and treat any weapon with the word “elven” in its name as a martial weapon.
- Low-Light Vision: Elves can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Elf Oracle: Add +1/2 to the oracle's level for the purpose of determining the effects of one revelation (Storm of Souls)
Appraise (Int) 7
Bluff (Cha) 7
Craft (ships) (Int) 4
Diplomacy (Cha) 7
Heal (Wis) 7
Knowledge (arcana) (Int) 7
Knowledge (geography) (Int) 7
Knowledge (history) (Int) 7
Knowledge (nobility) (Int) 7
Knowledge (planes) (Int) 7
Knowledge (religion) (Int) 7
Linguistics (Int) 7
Perform (Recite Poetry) (Cha) 6
Profession (sailor) (Wis) 7
Sense Motive (Wis) 7
Spellcraft (Int) 7
Swim (Str) 4
Equipment: (23,500 wealth at level 7)
+1 merciful longbow 4000gp (+1d6 damage but all nonlethal; or suppress for lethal but no bonus)
+1 longsword 2000gp
+1 elven chain 6150gp [AC+7, move 30‘, armor check pen of -2]
ring of protection +1 2000gp
bracers of archery, lesser 5000gp
cloak of elvenkind 2500
2 x potion of hide from undead 50
1 x potion of cure moderate 300
[eqpt total: 21,800]
Cash: 2,150 gp