Monday, August 22, 2016

Simple Weather for Gaming

One thing which helps immersion in gaming, including setting the mood or tone, is weather.  Some games don't really cover it, while others go into deep simulationist detail.  Recently, I decided I needed some weather tables for my Neo School Hack rules.  I wanted them to use either a d10 or a d12, because that's what Old School Hack uses, and I wanted them to be one-roll simple.

For me, I want weather tables to tell me two things: 1) does the weather impose any effects and 2) what is the general mood or tone for the day.  So I built these 1d10 tables for the four seasons of a generic northern hemisphere temperate zone, such as you'd use for a classic pseudo-European medieval fantasy game.  I think they'll work just as well for temperate North America and Asia.

Spring
  1. Breezy & Cool 
  2. Breezy & Cool
  3. Sunny & Nice
  4. Sunny & Nice
  5. Sunny & Nice
  6. Sunny & Hot
  7. Sunny & Hot
  8. Rainy
  9. Rainy
  10. Rainy & Thunderstorms

Summer
  1. Sunny & Nice
  2. Sunny &Nice
  3. Sunny & Hot
  4. Sunny & Hot
  5. Sunny & Hot
  6. Sunny & Very Hot
  7. Sunny & Very Hot
  8. Sunny & Very Hot
  9. Rainy & Hot
  10. Thunderstorms

Autumn
  1. Sunny & Nice
  2. Breezy & Cool
  3. Breezy & Cool
  4. Breezy & Cool
  5. Cloudy & Cool
  6. Breezy & Cold
  7. Breezy & Cold
  8. Cold & Rainy
  9. Cold & Rainy
  10. Cold & Dusting of Snow

Winter
  1. Sunny & Cold
  2. Sunny & Frigid
  3. Sunny & Frigid
  4. Sunny & Frigid
  5. Cloudy & Frigid
  6. Cloudy & Frigid
  7. Cold & Light Snow
  8. Cold & Light Snow
  9. Cold & Heavy Snow
  10. Blizzard

No comments:

Post a Comment