Saturday, June 1, 2013

Handy List of Skills for the Traveler RPG

Okay, so I'm doing some generic prep work for probably running another long-term roleplaying campaign.  One of the games I'm considering running would be based on the setting from Hulks & Horrors.  However, I don't like the RPG part of H&H and so I'm going back over the old Traveler rules.  I still have my original boxed set (great memories there) with the little black books but I also bought the nice big reprint of books 0 to 8 by Far Future Enterprises.

Traveler is pretty generic but as an inveterate tinkerer I naturally want to tweak the careers and skill lists.  So, being the methodical, systematic type that I am (can you say "Lawful Alignment"?) my first step was to dig through the books and compose a list of all skills.  And now that I have a list I figured I'd share it out as a handy aid. (If I've missed any, let me know and I'll add it in.)

Classic Traveler Skills List

Administration
Air/Raft
ATV
Battle Dress
Blade Combat
Brawling
Bribery
Broker
Carousing
Combat Engineering
Communications
Computer
Demolitions
Electronics
Engineering
Equestrian
FA Gunnery
Fleet Tactic
Forgery
Forward Observer
Gambling
Gravitics
Gun Combat
Gunnery
Heavy Weapons
Hunting
Instruction
Interrogation
Jack of all Trades
Liaison
Leader
Legal
Mechanical
Medical
Naval Architect
Navigation
Pilot
Recon
Recruiting
Ship Tactic
Ship's Boat
Steward
Streetwise
Survey
Survival
Tactics
Vacc Suit
Vehicle (Aircraft, Grav Vehicle, Tracked Vehicle,Watercraft, Wheeled Vehicle)
Xeno-Medicine
Zero-G Combat

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this very old post and it was quite useful to me in my own research. In case anyone else see this, I believe this list is missing the following skills:

    Aircraft (prop, jet, helicopter, grav, balloon), source: B5, B6 & S4
    Watercraft (lrg craft, sml craft, hovercraft, submersible) source: B6 & S4
    Trader, source: B7
    Prospecting, source: S4
    Bow Cbt, source: S4
    Melee Cbt, source: SS1

    Aircraft and Watercraft don't quite mesh between sources, so I listed the superset. (Aircraft doesn't even exist as a cascade in B5, but individual air vehicles are listed in the vehicle cascade that don't appear in later aircraft lists.)
    Melee Cbt only appears in SS1 and not B7 so you may not want to include it.
    Xeno-Medicine isn't a skill you can get RAW, rather it is just a comment within the Medicine skill.

    Maybe someone else can find a skill or three I have missed... but this list looks pretty complete to me.

    ReplyDelete