Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Order of the Stick Characters for Gaming

Okay, so I really like the webcomic Order of the Stick (OotS).  It features the antics and adventures of a group of D&D type character and it's full of excellent gaming in-jokes.  The artistic style, as its name suggests, is based on very simple figures.  A little while back I was thrilled to come across Derek Weller's blog, iheartprintandplay, where he presents lots of printable paper miniatures for gaming drawn in the OotS style.

I'm considering taking the plunge and trying my hand at drawing some--primarily with the goal of doing character portraits of the PCs in the games I'm involved in.  So I was wondering if anyone else does OotS characters anywhere.  I figure that I should try to see how other artists have expressed different creatures, races, clothing, hair styles, etc.  My first stop, as always when looking for art, was Deviant Art.  And I was pleasantly surprised to find several artists with OotS characters, often in very large numbers.  Keep in mind that these are not formatted paper miniatures, but terrific bits of art (sometimes as avatars for web use).  Here are some of my favorite OotS style artists from Deviant Art:

versipelles


kd7sov



thormag




Crimms/Devil_drawer1988



flutterella



PsiMonkey



MCSquared42




darkfaun

No comments:

Post a Comment