Saturday, December 8, 2012

Hmm, Midgard RPG Miniatures Kickstarter Project?

Okay, so I have been very interested in the whole concept of Kickstarter (and Indiegogo).  In particular I am very interested in its potential as a means to empower small (and even large) RPG companies.  I've put money into a couple crowd-sourcing projects now, but I'm waiting on them to finish and actually deliver their products.  Yesterday the Midgard RPG miniatures project launched on Kickstarter.  I liked the sample minis--the aboleth miniature is the first ever depiction of an aboleth which gave me the impression that it's a cool monster.  Most of the bestiary illustrations I've seen of it previously made it look pretty lame.

So, then I took a look at the pledge levels, stretch goals, etc. and was surprised by the amount of pledge per miniature.  Nowadays a 28mm humanoid mini is in the $5-6 range.  For this project they were working out to $9 per miniature.  Okay, this is a project funding site, not a retail sales site.  However it made pledging less a bit less appealing.  Compare this with the Reaper Miniatures project on Kickstarter where you would get a huge set of miniatures for a better cost per miniature.

Anyway, I'm always glad to see more cool miniatures coming out and I wish them success!

No comments:

Post a Comment