Saturday, December 8, 2012

Yay, my "The World Between for Fictive Hack" is here!

Okay, so I ordered the print-on-demand (POD) softcopy version from Lulu of "The World Between for Fictive Hack" by Andrew Shields a little while back.  It arrived fairly quickly, allowing for the fact that I chose the cheapest shipping option.  I've never ordered a POD product before and was a bit apprehensive about the quality.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the quality is fully professional.  Anyway, I've been reading through it (all 315 pages) and am getting a proper full review of it together.  I also ran a one-shot session of it for my Wednesday night group recently and I'll be posting on that as well.

Quick Reactions:
- high quality print product (the softcopy, anyway)
- huge masses of fun character options
- a complete game and campaign world in one book
- cool new take on orcs
- added a lot of rules to the original Old School Hack (a plus or a minus depending on your point of view)
- needs more editing and organizing

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you got it! I look forward to the review.

    I am curious to know what you would suggest for editing and organizing. With the material there, I picked what seemed the most sensible arrangement to me, so I invite alternative suggestions for what would be omitted or re-ordered.

    As for more rules, the original only lets you get to 4th level and is designed for hand-waving fun. The goal of this game is different, pitched to a different kind of audience, so I agree that different people will find value in different versions.

    Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete