Saturday, March 1, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Day 1

Okay, so I've decided to jump in on the blog challenge over at the Tomb of Tedankhamen.

What was the first roleplaying game other than D&D you played? Was it before or after you had played D&D?

That would be Traveler.  There was another game, which I seem to remember being called Tunnels & Trolls but which, from later reading reviews of T&T, was probably not.  Being introduced to Traveler was exciting because I had been a sci-fi fan for years.  The quirky character generation where you could actually die was cool and stupid at the same time (like, why does every tour in a job have to be exactly four years?).  I really enjoyed the planet generation rules--I immediately began making up sectors to game in.

However, it was quickly obvious that the default mode of play was a bunch of former something-or-others has this mortgaged ship, see, and they fly around buying and selling cargos and running into situations.  Either that or a bunch of former something-or-others who are thug-mercenaries for hire.  I wasn't excited about either mode and neither were my friends.

I still have a certain fondness for it and might run a session or two for nostalgia's sake,  But I really can't see running a campaign with it, at least not with out gutting and completely customizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment