Tuesday, March 11, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Day 11: What post-apocalyptic RPG have you enjoyed most?

Okay, I'm not really into post-apocalyptic games in general.  For me it is a very depressing genre.  The term "post-apocalyptic" conjures up visions of ignorant, violent tribal a-holes fighting it out to see who gets to be King of the Trashpile.  And you get to play one of those a-holes with a crappy present leading to an even crappier future.  Might as well just jump off a bridge and get it over with.

On the other hand, the term "post-apocalyptic" actually covers a lot of sub-genres which are quite different.  So for today's question I would say Gamma World, or Paranoia if that counts.  I played Gamma World a long, long time ago, back around when it first came out.  It was weird and wacky (not my usual style) but as long as I approached it as a silly game with silly random mutant characters it was fun.  One game which I haven't tried but which sounds very, very cool is Tribe 8 by Dream Pod 9.  I'm not sure my group would go for it, so I may never get to play it.  But it's one of those games where I'll probably collect most of the books just to read all the cool stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Gamma World isn't a 'sub-genre' of the post-apocalypse. It *is* the post-apocalypse. It set the standard for all the games that followed. Some folks play it for laughs. But I have run deadly serious games with it. I have also run games that played out like four-color comics in a PA setting. It can be what you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete