Monday, March 24, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Days 23 and 24

I thought that these two challenge questions might be best answered together.  And I totally deny all those rumors about being lazy or something.

What is the most broken game that you tried and were unable to play?
Hmm, I'm not sure I've really played anything I thought was broken.  I can usually spot games which are likely to be "broken", either by reading them or reading several reviews.  So I usually just avoid them in the first place.  For this question I think I'll have to go with Teenage Mutant Turtles and Other Strangeness by Palladium.  I wanted to run a sort of X-Files game with it but I found myself swapping in more and more house rules until I finally chucked it and made up my own very simple rules based more on Paranoia than anything else.

What is the most broken game that you tried and loved to play, warts and all?
Sadly I must admit that this would be my beloved Chivalry & Sorcery.  A lot of the rules were a mess.  For instance, there was only one type of cleric and it was a boring class to play.  There was a lot of unnecessarily complex math involved in generating a character.  If D&D 3E had come along then I would have dropped it like a hot potato.  But we ran with it anyway because it was what we had (well, all that I had) and it worked enough to play with.  In the end we all had a lot of fun with it and that was what counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment