Sunday, March 2, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Day 2

What was the first character you played in an RPG other than D&D? How was playing it different from playing a D&D character?

Well, I actually started in fantasy RPGs with Chivalry & Sorcery (C&S) by Fantasy Games Unlimited.  My friend Gib introduced me to the game and I made an elf fighter type called Annaculwen.  I thought the whole thing was brilliant.  I also tried a session or two of OD&D with some other friends but thought the rules were crap; years years later I did short stints with AD&D 1E and 2E.  When Gib transferred to another college I became the default DM and went out and bought the C&S books.  (True Confession: I've never actually run a game of any official edition of D&D.)

In play it was probably pretty much like a D&D game.  Magic Users came in a huge range of types, there was no limit on how many spells you could know (but you had to roll to cast and burn Fatigue Points), there were no magic items pre-made, the monsters were drawn only from mythology and literature (no oozes, etc.), and character background stuff was built in.

No comments:

Post a Comment